Friday, April 23, 2010

Things to Remember If You Change Your Template

Google recently introduced their new Template Designer functionality in Blogger in Draft.

After reading about this, I eagerly changed the templates of two of my blogs. I loved the way it looked and it was fun choosing a background and layout.

However, after a few days, I realized that my statistics were missing in Webmaster Tools, Analytics, and Quantcast.

So I examined my HTML (under the Layout tab) and realized that the snippets of code that were in my original blog were not ported to the new template.

If you decide to migrate your Blogger layout to one of the new Templates, remember to do the following:
  1. Save a copy of you original template ( I used a word processor for this purpose ).
  2. Select a new template and apply it to your blog.
  3. Once done, edit your blogs new HTML.
  4. Look for all code that you may have added just before the < /head > and < /body > tags in your original template. Cut and paste the original snippets into your new HTML template.
  5. Save your template.
Blogger recommends that if you are going to add snippets, you should place the code in one of their HTML/JavaScript gadgets instead. By doing this, all your code will then be ported.  But since I am old-fashion, I prefer to do this by hand.

JL................

1 comment:

  1. Good tips and it's also a good idea to insert your meta tags in the html again.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Earn Money - Join the Leading Affiliate Program